Suicide is a very real and serious problem. If you or someone you know is feeling or acting suicidal, please, get help immediately. We urge you to talk to someone about your feelings. Whether it be a close friend, family member, therapist, religious or spiritual advisor, an SSPC counselor, or a hotline counselor, help is out there.
To learn more about suicide, its misconceptions, warning signs, and how to get help, please visit University Health Services/Tang Center.
Follow this link to learn how to help someone who is acting suicidal.
Suicide Prevention Hotlines & Websites:
- Crisis Support Services of Alameda County: 1800-309-2131
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline:1-800-273-TALK (8255).
- National Hopeline Network: 1.800.442.HOPE (4673).
- Counseling for Students/ Tang Center
M – W and F 8-4:30, Th 9-4:30
www.uhs.berkeley.edu or Call 510-642-9494
- American Psychiatric Association
- Online screening for depression:
Facts about Depression:
- National Institute of Mental Health Information Resources
National Mental Health Association
www.nmha.org or 800-969-6642
- National Depressive and Manic Depressive Association
- Cal Disabled Student’s Union website: http://dsu.berkeley.edu/
- Disabled Students Graduate Support Group:
Thu 1-2 PM / 3rd Floor Tang Center. Call 510-642-9494 for more information,
or visit the DSP website at: http://dsp.berkeley.edu/
- Learn more from SHEP Counselors
- Tang Center
- Sexual Health & Sexuality
- page at the University Health Services website.
Stress & Anxiety:
- Tang Center information on stress and anxiety and guide to Understanding and Managing Anxiety.
- Tang’s Self-Care Resource Center.
- Hotline: 1-800-829-3777
- University Health Service: 642-2000
- Counselor/Therapist: 642-9494
- The Student Counseling Pamphlet Collection at the University of Chicago
has a collection of information on a variety of topics.
- Visit The Mental Health Coalition to learn more about resources available on campus.
- The Berkeley Free Clinic also offers free and confidential peer counseling to all members of the Berkeley community.
- The Student Learning Center offers unlimited free tutoring for Berkeley students in a wide variety of subjects.